Friday, June 7, 2013

Goodreads Review

These DaysThese Days by Jack Cheng
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I signed up for the Kickstarter on a whim, because I always like when someone is willing to explore how modern technology is having an impact on society through the lens of a love story. I wasn't expecting the torrential, soulful outpouring of the writing process on a near weekly basis!

Needless to say, I was quite excited to finally read the finished work, and it didn't disappoint. Upon finishing the first chapter, I was a little worried this love story would fall on the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, but don't fret! Both Connor Vast and K are given time for the reader to see the story from their point of view, and Jack Cheng paints a rich backdrop of New York City, people, and the start-up scene. Even though I don't have nearly as much experience with the technical aspects of coding, programming, or starting a new business based on tech, I could follow along with the ideas Cheng was showing. I was especially impressed by Connor's difficulty in breaking away from the constant presence of the internet in the form of his smartphone and "the stream," which is sadly a mark that hits close to home for myself and quite a few people I know.

For a love story, this is one of the most complex I've read in a while. It has all the beauty, ugliness, and heartbreak of a real relationship, so Harlequin romancers may not find the book as satisfying. The book reads more like journal entries from someone's biography, and has as much meatiness to it.

I enjoyed it a lot, and if anyone wants my hard copy to sink their teeth in, I'd be willing to lend it out!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment